Re: Plot problem?

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: Plot problem?
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:50:24 -0700

Interesting.

I am using 4.2 patchlevel 2, but installed patchlevel 5 and got the same thing.

This is with the tip as of Saturday or so. Note that a standard 4/3 monitor ALMOST works, but not quite. This is the difference between using octave and going back to MATLAB, so I have been playing with gnuplot and looking through the octave sources to find out what is going on. I will let you know - a patch if I can figure it out or a second request if I can't. MATLAB doesn't really work either though, because I need to do some fairly complex annotation and way prefer to use xfig for that.

Bob

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 16-Jun-2009, Robert T. Short wrote:

| And on that note.....
| | This may be a gnuplot problem. I don't know. I am running 4.2 (the | current debian lenny gnuplot package). I confess to being somewhat | overwhelmed by the plot/graphics threads so this may have already been | addressed. If so, I apologize in advance. | | The attached script is a vastly simplified version of something I do a | lot of. It draws circles with lines between them. | | I frequently print to encapsulated PostScript or fig, depending on | whether I further need to annotate the plot or not. | | There are two problems: 'axis square' doesn't seem to work and line | styles don't print correctly. | | --- With either 'axis square' or 'axis equal', the axes come out unequal | so the circles are smashed.

I don't see this with the current Octave sources or 3.2.0.  I'm using
gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 5 on a Debian testing system.

| --- The on-screen plot comes out with the line styles and colors | specified. The fig file cycles through the colors for both the circles | and the lines. The eps file gets the colors right, but not the line styles.

As I recall, mixing line styles and colors has never really worked
correctly in gnuplot and the behavior is terminal dependent.  But
maybe things have changed lately?  I'm not sure.

| In MATLAB, I can't do fig files of course, but it gets the eps file | right EXCEPT it loses all the colors....

Did you use -depsc or -deps?