Re: *.texi files not generated

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: *.texi files not generated
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:11:18 -0500

On 30-Nov-2009, Rik wrote:

| Yes, that sums up the decision.  Currently, we require texinfo to be
| installed on the build host which isn't terrifically onerous, but we
| could get rid of the requirement altogether if we choose to rewrite the
| few texi files which actually depend on conf.texi.

I'm willing to consider not generating conf.texi, or generating it at
configure time and only having it contain things like VERSION so that
doesn't have to be changed by hand in the sources.  But I'm not sure
how to correctly handle the conditional variables like HAVE_COLAMD.

| octave.info octave.dvi octave.pdf octave.html: $(nodist_octave_TEXINFOS)
$(octave_TEXINFOS) $(EXAMPLE_FILES)

Shouldn't these also depend on octave.texi?

| MAINTAINERCLEANFILES = $(IMAGES)

If we are requiring that the documentation be rebuilt, then we might
as well also stop distributing the various image files, so maybe these
should also go in DISTCLEANFILES and not be added to EXTRA_DIST?
Likewise for the scripts/DOCSTRINGS and src/DOCSTRINGS files.

| ## .texi files are generated files, not primary sources, and should not
| ## be distributed.  Automake, however, does not create rules to generate
| ## pdf and html documentation unless the info and texi files will be
| ## distributed.

Oh, that part I forgot about.  Ugh.  We should try to get this fixed
in automake.

OK, go ahead and check in your version.

Thanks,