Re: *.texi files not generated

From: Rik
Subject: Re: *.texi files not generated
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:05:48 -0800

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 30-Nov-2009, Rik wrote:
>
> | Yes, that sums up the decision.  Currently, we require texinfo to be
> | installed on the build host which isn't terrifically onerous, but we
> | could get rid of the requirement altogether if we choose to rewrite the
> | few texi files which actually depend on conf.texi.
>
> I'm willing to consider not generating conf.texi, or generating it at
> configure time and only having it contain things like VERSION so that
> doesn't have to be changed by hand in the sources.  But I'm not sure
> how to correctly handle the conditional variables like HAVE_COLAMD.

I'll think about this.  I don't know the best way to handle the
conditional variables either which is why I left it alone for the time
being.
> | octave.info octave.dvi octave.pdf octave.html: $(nodist_octave_TEXINFOS)
> $(octave_TEXINFOS) $(EXAMPLE_FILES)
>
> Shouldn't these also depend on octave.texi?

These are covered by the default suffix rules.  The actual rule that
makes octave.pdf is of the form .pdf.texi so octave.texi is the default
dependency.  Only the extra dependencies need to be added.
> | MAINTAINERCLEANFILES = $(IMAGES)
>
> If we are requiring that the documentation be rebuilt, then we might
> as well also stop distributing the various image files, so maybe these
> should also go in DISTCLEANFILES and not be added to EXTRA_DIST?
> Likewise for the scripts/DOCSTRINGS and src/DOCSTRINGS files.

We could do this for consistency, but it is also the case that the
images don't have any dependency on conf.texi and can be pre-computed
just once and distributed with the build.

--Rik