Re: Building for Microsoft Windows using MSYS

From: mkraai
Subject: Re: Building for Microsoft Windows using MSYS
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:33:11 -0800

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for the information.

I tried to follow the instructions in HOWTO.txt.

BLAS failed to build because blas.tgz now contains all of the files within the blas directory, so I updated the build script.  It also failed to build because the function in scabs1.f wasn't defined, so I added that file to makefile.mingw32 in blas-4.patch.

libpng and graphicsmagick failed to build because the versions specified are no longer available, so I updated the appropriate files.  Unfortunately, graphicsmagick still fails to build with the following errors:

> Creating library file: Magick++/lib/.libs/libGraphicsMagick++.dll.aMagick++/lib/.libs/Exception.o:Exception.cpp:(.text+0x43): undefined reference to `_imp___ZNSt9exceptionD2Ev'
> Magick++/lib/.libs/Exception.o:Exception.cpp:(.text+0x93): undefined reference to `_imp___ZNSt9exceptionD2Ev'
> Magick++/lib/.libs/Exception.o:Exception.cpp:(.text+0xe0): undefined reference to `_imp___ZNSt9exceptionD2Ev'
> Magick++/lib/.libs/Exception.o:Exception.cpp:(.text+0x120): undefined reference to `_imp___ZNSt9exceptionD2Ev'
> Magick++/lib/.libs/Exception.o:Exception.cpp:(.text+0x196): undefined reference to `_imp___ZNSt9exceptionD2Ev'
> Magick++/lib/.libs/Exception.o:Exception.cpp:(.text+0x1e6): more undefined references to `_imp___ZNSt9exceptionD2Ev' follow
>
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [Magick++/lib/libGraphicsMagick++.la] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/octave-forge/graphicsmagick/.build_mingw32_GraphicsMagick-1.3.9-4_gcc-4.4.0-dw2'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

Do you have any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Here's a patch containing the changes I've made:

Matt

"Benjamin Lindner" <address@hidden>

02/09/2010 11:56 PM

address@hidden, address@hidden
cc
address@hidden
Subject
Re: Building for Microsoft Windows using MSYS

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for the information.  I've been using the MinGW-based binary
> package that you pointed to, but since 3.2.4 was released and I didn't see
> a binary package of it, I thought I'd try to build it myself.  Since I
> already have MSVC, I thought I'd try that.

3.2.4 built with mingw32 is not yet available.
I'd like to add a few new octave-forge packages, especially
the java-based ones around windows/io/jhandles, and the video
package. Then the gnuplot version is also a bit outdated as 4.4 is
approaching.

I am working on it, but as everybody else, I'm doing it in my
spare time of which I don't have as much as I'd sometimes like
to have.

> Are there instructions for building Octave using MinGW or should I wait or
> try compiling it with Cygwin?

Sort of. More or less. (You get the point...)
Take a look at
https://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/octave/trunk/octave-forge/admin/Windows/mingw32/HOWTO.txt

If you want to build using mingw32 gcc you can also take a
look at the build environment on
https://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/octave/trunk/octave-forge/admin/Windows/mingw32

There are a few snags along the way, so it's not entirely
straightforward, but you are welcome to give it a try :)
If you do so, then you are also welcome to post questions and
feedback to the maintainer's list at maintainers at octave dot org.
I'd be glad to improve the build environment and/or the
documentation. It really only gets useful if somebody else
also can make use of it...

You can take one shortcut in building, if you like (this is
not documented properly in the howto yet):
Use the packaged libraries, corresponding import libraries
and header files from the 3.2.3 installer which you will
find in the subdirs bin/, lib/ and include/ and use them
when building octave from source. This way you can skip the
procedure of building all libraries by yourself.
You'll at the moment still need to setup a MSYS environment
as documented in the HOWTO (the one shipped in the
installer is not the exact replica of the one used to build
octave).
You can take the mingw32 compiler from the installer in mingw32/
though. Mind the the gcc runtime libraries (libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll,
libgfortran-3.dll, libstdc++-6.dll, mingwm10.dll) have been moved from
mingw32/bin/ to bin/ in the installer tree.

benjamin

The server made the following annotations

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Beckman Coulter, Inc. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.