Re: Figure numbers as strings?

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: Figure numbers as strings?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:28:39 +0200

Soren Hauberg wrote:
Hi All

When working directly in the prompt I often want to open a specific
figure (say, figure 7). To do this I most often just type

  figure 7

The moment I press enter I realise I've forgotten the parentheses, and I
get annoyed at myself ("Stupid kid, don't you even know how to call a
function?", I think to myself). Since I don't really enjoy calling
myself a "stupid kid", I was wondering if it would be okay to make
'figure' recognise figure numbers when given as strings? The attached
patch does this.

Matlab does not allow this, and honestly it really is bad style. I would
enjoy being able to use this syntax (well, I already use, it just
doesn't work...)

Cheers,
Soren

I don't object, and I have another time saver...

Soren, you're in Denmark, right? Do yourself a favor and use US-intl (no dead keys) keyboard layout instead of the Danish one. I unlearned the weird Swedish keyboard layout one year ago, and I never looked back. The US-intl layout is insanely easier to type programming characters on (like the tricky / \ [] {} and the can-hardly-be-found `). It's almost like programming languages are designed to be typed in! :) I haven't got a new keyboard either, I just changed the software. I chat in Swedish (börk börk) on this layout (using the Alt Gr key found on nordic keyboards), so I can (and do) use it all the time.

David