Re: unified FLTK & Gnuplot printing

From: bpabbott
Subject: Re: unified FLTK & Gnuplot printing
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:23:57 +0000 (GMT)

On 30 Aug, 2010,at 09:51 AM, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:

On Aug 23, 2010, at 9:13 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> I've prepared a changeset to unify the printing for both the FLTK and Gnuplot backends.
>
> For both backends, ghostscript is relied upon more heavily than before. Ghostscript is used to produce most output formats from an eps image of the figure. The output formats based upon an eps image are bmp, jpg, pbm, pcx, pdf, pgm, pgn, pnm, ppm, ps, and tiff. Using an eps image as the basis for most output formats allow all those formats to benefit from efforts invested in eps output.

On a somewhat related note, are the changes specific to FLTK and Gnuplot, or does it apply to any OpenGL based backend and Gnuplot? The reason I ask is because Michael Goffioull and I (mostly Michael) have been working on a GTK/OpenGL backend and I wonder how much of the FLTK improvements will apply to all OpenGL based backend.

John Swensen

I'm not very familiar with the architecture. So, I've cc'd Shai in case I get something wrong

My understanding is that the printed output is produced using GL2PS, which is not part of FLTK and should (could?) work with any OpenGL renderer/backend.

You can look at the ChangeLog for fltk_backend.cc to see what changes have been done there ...

    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/log/015ba76371b9/src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/fltk_backend.cc

From what I infer, the FLTK backend calls GL2PS in order to produce the desired output. I assume it is straight forward to do the same for other OpenGL backends. In which case all the printing features available for the FLTK backend would apply to other OpenGL implementations.

Ben