Re: changeset for Manual

From: Rik
Subject: Re: changeset for Manual
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 07:57:57 -0800

Michael D Godfrey wrote:
>  On 12/26/2010 09:41 PM, Rik wrote:
>> I committed your patch here
>> (http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/e7ed20f87e82).
>>
>> The Changelog entry for documentation follows the same guidelines as for
>> ordinary changes, i.e., document *what* you did but not a big explanation
>> on why you did it.  For your changeset I used "Add @tex blocks to
>> docstring."  If there is more than one unrelated change I often just use
>> "Improved docstring" rather than reciting a long laundry list of specific
>> changes such as "Fixed typo trough -> through, ...".  The only exception
>> here is that I use "overhaul" or "re-write" if very little of the original
>> docstring remains.  This gives an indication that the edit was major rather
>> than minor.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rik
> Thanks very much.  There are some formatting rules about
> entries in the Changelog.  Are they documented?
> Also, is it preferred to submit documentation changes like this
> to the bug-tracker, or?   (I also did a bug-tracker submit of this,
> which can now be closed.)
I think the bug tracker is a good place because it sets up a permanent
record and the patch is always available.  Particularly as the 3.4 release
nears, there are going to be a lot of forthcoming patches and if they were
only posted to the mailing list I'm sure some would slip through without
being applied.

--Rik