Re: Makefile rule for symbolic links in src/DLD-FUNCTIONS

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Makefile rule for symbolic links in src/DLD-FUNCTIONS
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:30:12 -0800

> OK, now I think I understand what is happening and why.  Yes, the
> intent of the rule is to check the timestamp of the symbolic link
> itself.  But it would be nice if we could somehow limit that to just
> these .oct file targets and not apply it globally unless there is some
> way to know that there will never be any dependency checks that will
> now be incorrect if we make this change.

It is only applicable to this particular Makefile, but I understand if this
still feels too global.

I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to depend on an intermediate
file which could take a proper timestamp.  It could be a '.' file to hide
it on UNIX platforms.  I'm thinking roughly of a rule like

.libABC.tstamp : libABC.la
  ... link -s libABC.so.0.0 libABC.oct ...
  touch $@

and then changing the 'all-local' rule to depend on the timestamp files
rather than the .oct symbolic links.

--Rik