Terminal emulation in Octave GUI

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Terminal emulation in Octave GUI
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:44:21 -0500

On 7 April 2011 01:44, Jacob Dawid <address@hidden> wrote:
> it turned that I was not aware of the problem with readline. However, it is
> quite questionable if putting a terminal emulation into a window can be a
> solution for a GUI - I don't think so.

I think you simply are envisioning a limited terminal. I don't know of
a reason why we can't have an Octave terminal in a GUI with readline
and not build other bells and whistles on top of it, like syntax
highlighting or pop-up completion menus. What I do think is rather
silly is to reimplement parts of readline like tab completion or
history search.

- Jordi G. H.