Re: Terminal emulation in Octave GUI

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Terminal emulation in Octave GUI
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 14:38:43 -0400

On  7-Apr-2011, John Swensen wrote:

| Just to give my $0.02, I still think there is nothing wrong with the
| "Octave in a terminal emulator widget" solution.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that solution
either.  I'm just pointing out that there may be another way to solve
the problem of embedding Octave in a GUI that still allows us to use
GNU readline and handle GUI events in a way that is more typical of
the way GUIs usually work.

| I think sometime the natural progression is for users to
| move from IDE to command line and we would get a whole slew of other
| requests to make the command line more like the IDE.  I think it is
| better to head those type of things off now and make them as Jordi
| said, the same Readline interface for both with some bells and
| whistles on top of the IDE interface.

I agree that the command line editing experience should be the same.
As far as I can tell, there should be no difference for the user
whether readline is used in its callback mode or in the normal "call
readline and let it handle everything" mode.