Re: Separation into dock widgets

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: Separation into dock widgets
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:55:27 +0200

2011/4/30 Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
On 30 April 2011 03:44, Jacob Dawid <address@hidden> wrote:
> I went ahead and did rand(10000, 10000) and it works flawlessly. There is no
> need to optimize unless there is a problem that requires it.

Now copy that around in memory many times and check your memory usage.
Also time it.

Like I've said before, Octave is precisely the kind of software where
very conceivable optimisation is worth it because people try to push
their hardware with it in order to solve the biggest problems they can
solve. Octave's source code is sometimes ugly because someone figured
out an optimisation that uglified the source code. Every possible
optimisation should also be done on the GUI, or if it turns out to be
slow or doesn't make optimal use of resources, our users will not like
it.

- Jordi G. H.

Okay, maybe we should think about what our goals are. If you want

- windows that are dockable and an interface that is totally transformable
- highest optimization in resources

then these are your primary goals and you should not bother with creating an IDE. Write a script that opens up a terminal window, your editor of choice and a browser for the docs and there you go. Also, I suggest you look into calculations with the GPU as these are really important things that you can benefit from. My primary goals are:

- easy usability, especially for beginners
- a working all-in-one suite that glues everything together

I suppose we have different ideas here on what this should really be. Of course, I doesn't mean an IDE should perform bad, I just state it's not a primary goal to push its performance to the limit right at the start. We can recap on that later, but first it's important to get a minimum set of things working. As long as the software is kept modular inside, it should not be a problem to do it that way.

Goals that have to be attended are:
-> How to solve the terminal emulation issue on Windows (no ptys there)? (!!!)
-> The terminal emulation is quite ugly, since it is being drawn as an image internally and it needs a rewrite soon.
-> Integrate a package manager for octave (I've seen QtOctave has one).
-> Integrating the plotting windows into the GUI.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.

Whitespace - the most ink saving programming language: http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/index.php .