Re: MSVC binaries not a GPL violation

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: MSVC binaries not a GPL violation
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 13:33:35 -0400

On  9-Aug-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| Well, the two URLs above have contradictory information. One says the
| runtime is a system library, the other says it isn't. Of course that's
| where the whole argument hinges. I think the GPL FAQ of course also
| means distribution, because otherwise there is no point in even asking
| if linking is ok or not: you can link whatever GPLed software you want
| to whatever else as long as you don't distribute it.
|
| I'm CCing the FSF again to ask this point to be clarified again.

If you read the other messages in the thread that I linked to, you'll
see that I also had a question about "user does the link" which I
thought was frowned on by the FSF, but actually seemed to be advocated
in this case as Brett specifically said that we should just tell
people to download the MSVC runtime libraries from Microsoft's site.
So there is definitely some conflicting and confusing info about this
topic.