Re: shadowed functions in octave-forge

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: shadowed functions in octave-forge
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 10:47:13 -0500

On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:21 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Clemens Buchacher <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 09:15:39AM +0100, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>>>
>>> We have a little situation with fstat
>>> check here
>>> http://gnu-octave-repository.2306053.n4.nabble.com/Octave-forge-Package-Statistics-td3978628.html
>>>
>>> A dev could remove the one from core, but we must check that the
>>> discussion there s still valid.
>>
>> Thanks. If I understand correctly, the built-in fstat is
>> deprecated, and the fstat function from statistics is actually
>> useful. So I will not remove fstat from the statistics package.
>>
>> Clemens
>
> Exactly,
> do not remove from the statistics package.
> Some dev could remove fstat from core, if the conclusions in the given
> mail are still valid.
>
> JPi

When installing packages, I often run into problems resulting from attempting
to install on a too old or too new version of Octave.  I don't have any good
suggestions for how to avoid such problems in all cases.

However, in this instance ... perhaps a more robust approach is to check for
the core version when installing the package, and only install the package
version if the core function is absent?

Ben