Re: 3.6.0 release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 3.6.0 release
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:45:45 -0500

On 29-Nov-2011, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM, logari81 <address@hidden> wrote:
| >> I find that the legend labels are missing for "demo legend" (for
| >> example) when using "graphics_toolkit fltk".  The following change
| >> brings them back for me:
| >>
| >> diff --git a/liboctave/oct-alloc.h b/liboctave/oct-alloc.h
| >> --- a/liboctave/oct-alloc.h
| >> +++ b/liboctave/oct-alloc.h
| >> @@ -72,6 +72,10 @@
| >>        { ::operator delete (p); }
| >>  #endif
| >>
| >> +#ifndef USE_OCTAVE_ALLOCATOR
| >> +#define USE_OCTAVE_ALLOCATOR 1
| >> +#endif
| >> +
| >>  #if defined (USE_OCTAVE_ALLOCATOR)
| >>
| >>  #define DECLARE_OCTAVE_ALLOCATOR \
| >>
| >> Why this change has any effect on the legend labels is a complete
| >> mystery to me.
| >>
| >> jwe
| >
| > this fixes the problem on my system as well. How did you come to this?
| > Bisecting?

Yes.  I even did the bisecting twice because I couldn't believe that
this could be the changset that caused it.  Then I tried the above
change on the current sources with the same effect.

| This must the symptom of something else (like uninitialized memory).
| Forcing the use of the octave allocator is IMO not a solution.

Absolutely, this can't be the fix.  But when I run with valgrind with
and without the above change, nothing obvious about uninitialized
memory pops up.  However, there are some messages related to
fontconfig (I think) in both cases.  I'll check again and try to send
details later.