Fwd: [atlas-devel] Fwd: [GotoBLAS] Performance of ATLAS vs. Eigen

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Fwd: [atlas-devel] Fwd: [GotoBLAS] Performance of ATLAS vs. Eigen
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 14:26:18 -0600

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Lehn <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 6:52 AM
To: "List for developer discussion, NOT SUPPORT."
<address@hidden>

Hi,

I wrote a similar email to the GotoBLAS mailing list. Maybe you heard of
the C++ library "Eigen"

       http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

This library implements BLAS and LAPACK functionality.  The benchmarks
on their site suggest that they outperform or at least are on par with
BLAS libraries like GotoBLAS or ATLAS:

       http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Benchmark

Now I wonder why nobody in the BLAS/LAPACK world seems to take notice of
that.  On no BLAS mailing list or LAPACK forum this library and these
benchmarks were ever mentioned.

So what is your opinion about it?  And are these benchmarks trustworthy?

Cheers,

Michael