Re: 2nd pass for Octave-3.6.1 app (X86_64 only) bundle for MacOS

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: 2nd pass for Octave-3.6.1 app (X86_64 only) bundle for MacOS
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 10:20:04 -0500

On Mar 3, 2012, at 11:38 PM, Thomas Yengst wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2012, at 6:55 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> I've had mixed results with the MacOS X86_64 Octave-3.6.1
>>
>> The bundle worked on MacOS Lion on Core 2 Duo, or Core i7 with MacPorts
>> installed.
>>
>> Also worked on MacOS Snow Leopard on Core 2 Duo with MacPorts installed.
>>
>> In another case, It did not run on Cure 2 Duo with Snow Leopard.
>>
>> Also failed on a Core i7 with Lion.
>>
>> I've fixed a few bugs in the launch scripts, and made some minor
>> improvements in the DMG. The new version is below.
>>
>>      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.6.1.dmg
>>
>> I've just started the uploaded of the dmg. I expect the upload to complete
>> within an hour of when I send out this email.
>>
>> For those who had trouble with the first version, I'm particularly
>> interested in how this one works for you.
>>
>> I'm also interested in hearing from anyone else, including those who had
>> success the first time.
>>
>> When reporting, please include (1) MacOS version, (2) Which CPU your Mac
>> has, (3) whether or not you have MacPorts or Fink installed.
>>
>> TiA
>> Ben
>>
> Cure 2 Duo with Snow Leopard
> Macports installed and octave-devel @3.6.1 deactivated
>
> opens up with no errors right out of the DMG - rather than copying it to a
> separate hard drive location (I verified that my results are the same whether
> it's run out of the DMG or from a separate hard disk location)
> starts up in a Terminal.
>
> basic math functions work.
>
> plotting did not work - plot(1:10,'.-') brought up an aquaterm window, but no
> plot was displayed.
> close all did not actually close the blank aquaterm window
> even tried to change Aquaterm prefs, but "client control" box didn't allow
> octave to close the aquaterm window.
>
> Tom

I haven't had the time to debug the Aquaterm problems yet.  We're both running
MacPorts and my Aquaterm is active

$ port installed aquaterm
  aquaterm @1.0.1_5
  aquaterm @1.0.1_5+universal (active)

Is your's active as well ?

I suspect if the aquaterm stuff that is bundled isn't complete and requires the
part in /Applications/MacPorts/Aquaterm.app (or something else).

In any event, you can test drive plots using x11 ...

        close all
        setenv GNUTERM x11
        plot (rand (3))

Ben