Re: GUI design

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: GUI design
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:55:36 -0400

On Mar 23, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

> On 03/23/2012 01:20 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
>
>> 2012/3/23 Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden>:
>>
>>> One question is whether people are more productive using a GUI
>>> versus a command line and an editor like gvim or whatever.
>>
>> This is irrelevant.
>
> No it's not.  Being productive is important.

There are many novice users who believe the GUI makes them more productive, and
many experienced users who think the command line is more productive for them.

Since, no one is forced to use the GUI, I don't see how adding a GUI to octave
is relevant to those who don't plan to use it.

But adding a GUI is obviously relevant to those who prefer to use a GUI.

Personally, I prefer the command line, but am encouraged by the attention the
GUI is getting. In particular it is good to see new contributors join in the
development of Octave.

Ben