Octave GUI vs. GUI Octave namespace confusion

From: Rik
Subject: Octave GUI vs. GUI Octave namespace confusion
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 08:52:36 -0700

4/9/12

All,

I thought this might be a problem.  This was the text of a bug report
submitted this morning on the bug tracker

--- Bug Report ---

Hello Octave Folks,

I yesterday lost the GUI EditorDebug(g)er from my installation of Octave
3.4.3 with GUI Octave 1.4.3(?) and it has remained lost through
reinstallation of Octave 3.6.1 with GUI Octave 1.6.0.

An intermediate error message (of which I took a screen shot) said:
GUI4OctaveBinPercentD4Pound1x3DotGPoundNotFound
(with some quotes or tildes inserted at various places).

A subsequent message claimed that the OctaveEditor was not found in the
re-installation process.

I am in the middle of a project due tomorrow.

Thank you for your attention.

Ray Falk

--- End Bug Report ---

And this was my response

--- Bug Response ---

GUI Octave is not actually Octave software, even though it uses the Octave
name and provides a visual environment on top of Octave the numerical
analysis software.

Support requests for the GUI Octave should presumably go to the author of
that software somewhere on that website
(http://sites.google.com/site/guioctave/).

If you're in an extreme hurry, as it sounds like you are, just use the
command-line interface that Octave provides.  Adding a GUI may be nice, but
it doesn't change what is actually available.  You can run scripts, analyze
datasets, debug things, etc. in Octave directly without the intermediary of
GUI Octave.

I'm closing this bug as it is not against Octave itself.

--- End Bug Response ---

I don't want to get pushy with naming rights but this sort of thing is very
confusing to people in the same way that people have a hard time
understanding how Octave and Octave Forge differ.

--Rik