Re: Race condition seems to be fixed

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Race condition seems to be fixed
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 21:27:04 +0100

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 21-May-2012, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Jacob Dawid <address@hidden>
| wrote:
|

|         Doing a full refresh on every "Enter" key pressed is an equal waste of
|         computing power. Especially if you have 10000 variables in your current
|         scope and none of them changed.
|
|         Michael.
|

|     What does the readline hook do better here?
|

| The main point about the readline hook was that you capture at once all cases
| where octave is idle, and it's already available without changing core octave
| code.

There are some performance issues to be considered.  For example, with
a recent version of Octave, try

 graphics_toolkit fltk

and then try to paste some text at the Octave prompt.  For me, this
results in a significant delay for each character of input.  There
seems to be no delay without the event hook.

Note that doing

 graphics_toolkit gnuplot

does not remove the fltk event hook after it has been installed, so to
see the behavior without the event hook, you'll need to start Octave
in a way that never sets the graphics toolkit to fltk (avoid loading
your .octaverc file if it sets the graphics toolkit, for example).

Maybe there is a simple fix for this problem?

Does it happen with any type of readline event hook or only with FLTK?

Also "graphics_toolkit gnuplot" will only change the default backend used for plotting. It affect existing figures, so it means the  FLTK graphics toolkit is not unloaded.

Michael.