Re: 'hg update' failing

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: 'hg update' failing
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 14:44:15 -0400

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:54 AM, CdeMills wrote:

> - target system is a Mac under MacOS 10.5
> - git built from macport; curl is a dependency
> - openssl s_client -connect code.google.com:443CONNECTED(00000004)
> write:errno=54
> ---
> no peer certificate available
> ---
> No client certificate CA names sent
> ---
> SSL handshake has read 0 bytes and written 322 bytes
> ---
> New, (NONE), Cipher is (NONE)
> Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported
> Compression: NONE
> Expansion: NONE
> ---

So this is an openssl problem on your system, propagating into curl
and git. I'm no openssl expert, but "no peer certificate available"
and "handshake has read 0 bytes" sound like your client attempts to
negotiate SSL with google and nothing comes back. Firewall or web
proxy possibly? Can you point a web browser to https://code.google.com
and view the page? Can you connect to other SSL hosts:

openssl s_client -connect www.google.com:443
openssl s_client -connect savannah.gnu.org:443
openssl s_client -connect launchpad.net:443
openssl s_client -connect github.com:443

Any of these showing a valid connection: no "errno=", certificate
displayed in base64, handshake reads non-zero number of bytes?

If a browser works but command-line openssl doesn't, does your browser
have a proxy configured or any other "network connection"-type
settings?

I'd try searching for "openssl errno 54", and maybe something
macports-specific, to try to find the problem with your openssl.

> - git help -a | grep https
> diff                      remote-https
>
> - env  GIT_SSL_NO_VERIFY=1   git clone https://code.google.com/p/qterminal/
> Cloning into 'qterminal'...
> error: Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to code.google.com:443
> while accessing https://code.google.com/p/qterminal/info/refs
> fatal: HTTP request failed
>
> Now; tried from a fedora-17 inside a vmware box ... ran like a charm without
> any issue.

So not a git problem and not a network connection (router or ISP) problem.

--
mike