Re: GUI doesn't appear when using ./run-octave

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GUI doesn't appear when using ./run-octave
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:37:36 -0500

On 09/16/2012 07:00 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 16-Sep-2012, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

| But this points to a weak spot:
| Octave's reading of this settings file should be made more robust,

No disagreement about that from me.  Patches, anyone?

I think I might have one, I've put it on Savannah:

There is further detailed description of the issues there, but with the change launching now seems consistent. However, there are some things still remaining that I didn't want to load up into one patch:

1) File editor lexers being created, then destroyed, then created again when only creating once is necessary.

2) All kinds of error messages and system hanging upon exit. (One can't see this unless the STDERR is left directed at the console instead of the GUIDE+O command window because once GUIDE+O exits the command window is no longer visible whereas the console still is.)

3) The command window still doesn't function just right. Often commands won't appear until after moving the position cursor around. It starts acting strange after a large printout is put into the pager.

This patch isn't meant to address everything except the immediate problems. So, if there are some quirky behaviors, take notice and enter them into the bug tracker separately.

Dan