Re: fltk rendering problem

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: fltk rendering problem
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 10:13:17 -0400

On Oct 12, 2012, at 9:46 AM, Mike Miller wrote:

> FLTK wisdom needed,
>
> The attachment fltk-plot-debian-i965-dri shows what FLTK plots look
> like to me on my regular development system. I had been wondering why
> everyone thought FLTK was such an improvement :)
>
> The attachment fltk-plot-good shows what I see now that I have tried
> it on other boxes and I assume what everyone else is seeing. Looks
> much better!
>
> This "dotted line" effect on my display seems related to the default
> line width being 0.5, if I set the line and axis widths to 1
> everything looks more like the other screengrab. Does anyone see
> anything similar to this? Or if you set your linewidth to an even
> smaller fraction?
>
> Debian testing, Mesa OpenGL 8.0.4, Intel xorg driver 2.20.2, i965 DRI
> driver, in case any of those are known to cause problems.
>
> --
> mike
> <fltk-plot-debian-i965-dri.png><fltk-plot-good.png>

On MacOS X I don't see the "dotted line" problem.  I assume that is due to poor
and a lack of anti-aliasing?

Have you tried the Qt toolkit yet?

        https://github.com/goffioul/QtHandles

If I recall correctly, Qt includes anti-aliasing on all platforms.

Regarding "why everyone thought FLTK was such an improvement", it is not
necessarily the quality of the displayed image that is improved.  What the FLTK
backend improved was compatibility with regards to handle graphics.  For
example, the FLTK backend *knows* the figure position and size.   This info is
not available to the gnuplot backend (i.e. Octave is unable to determine if the
user moves or resizes a gnuplot figure window).

Ben