Re: Enabling OpenMP by default

From: Júlio Hoffimann
Subject: Re: Enabling OpenMP by default
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:03:30 -0300

> IMHO, it's always great to fully utilize the hardware even if it doesn't
> lead to considerable gain in performance.

I could not disagree more with this statement. It assumes no other processes
ever need to use your hardware concurrently, which is usually _NOT_ the case.

c.

Hi Carlo, that's a good point. I always prefer write code for multiple cores though, no matter the speed up. I hope as the technology evolves, the performance gains will become noticeable. And of course, another justification is that it can sometimes be achieved with tiny effort.

Following the discussion on #ifdefs, i discovered the _Pragma is named __pragma on MSVC (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4782049/pragma-preprocessor-operator-in-visual-c) and it has a slightly different substitution pattern.

Best,
Júlio.