Re: PKG: miscellanoues

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: PKG: miscellanoues
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 18:48:46 +0200

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Júlio Hoffimann
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I particularly like Carnë's point of view, to me a Miscellaneous package
> should be absorbed either by the core or Agora. If these functions are
> useful, they should be directly available on the interpreter.
>
> Best,
> Júlio.

Do not want to make much fuzz about it, but we already know how fast
functions move form Forge to Core, so I think the miscellaneous
package is OK. Since pkg function is not yet providing the url option
Agora is not an option yet, unless you want to force manual download
on the user (I would hate it).

So, instead of discussing whether we remove miscellaneous or not,
maybe you can help finding host packages for the functions inside it,
and if it ever gets emptied, then it disappears naturally.
I started the port of the *poly functions. The procedure is the following.

- Check the signature of repeated functions.
- Find out which function is more efficient.
- Make a new function with that implementation and the most compatible signature
- Retrieve all test and demos form the old functions
- Add the new function to the devel folder of the host package.

Cheers