ind2rgb problem

From: adama
Subject: ind2rgb problem
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 07:28:39 -0700 (PDT)

I noticed that Carnë applied a patch to ind2rgb / ind2x today, but it seems
to break ind2rgb for N-dimensional images.  There might be something I'm
missing, but what is the patch meant to do?

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/4c11e9bcb796

The old version of ind2rgb / ind2x worked for all ND images.  For example, a
5x5x5 rgb image can be converted to and from an indexed image without any
problems.

a = rand(5,5,5,3);
[x,m] = rgb2ind(a);
b = ind2rgb(x,m);

With the patched version this is no longer the case.  It now only works for
either 2D images, or 4D images where the 3D dimension is a singleton, but
not for the general case of ND images.  Is there some reason to limit the
functionality here?  3D images are common in medical imaging, so it's a
shame to break this.