rlwrap as alternative to readline linking

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: rlwrap as alternative to readline linking
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 12:01:56 -0400

I don't know if it's useful or not, but I stumbled onto the utility 'rlwrap' that intercepts stdin/out of commandline programs and provides readline capabilities. This way the wrapped program doesn't have to worry about the intricacies of readline libraries/language support/etc.

This is how maxima handles command line editing---the underlying maxima executable uses the simplest commandline I/O, and rlwrap provides advanced editing functionality for the rmaxima version. I am pretty sure that works on Windows as well, so maybe using it would simplify the Octave build process.