Re: Java support in MXE build

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Java support in MXE build
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 14:50:10 -0400

On 07/03/2013 09:45 AM, Anirudha Bose wrote:
On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    On 07/02/2013 04:56 PM, Anirudha Bose wrote:

        On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden
        <mailto:address@hidden>
        <mailto:address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>> wrote:

             On 07/02/2013 04:38 PM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:

                 By the end of the week I might have time for this.
                 But I expect similar outcome as for Java, as IIRC I got
        exactly
                 the same
                 errors when building with llvm and no Java support, as when
                 building with
                 Java support and no llvm.

             Sorry, I haven't been following this discussion carefully.

             Are these problems for a native or cross build?

             If not cross, then has anyone attempted a cross build with
        Java enabled?

        The problems are seen in both native as well as cross builds.

    When I do a cross build for mingw, I see the following messages in
    log/octave:

       configure: WARNING: JAVA_HOME environment variable not initialized.
       configure: WARNING: Auto-detection will proceed but is unreliable.
       checking for java... /usr/bin/java

    /scratch/jwe/src/mxe-octave/__tmp-octave/octave-3.7.5/__configure:
    line 66352: pwd:

       -W: invalid option
       pwd: usage: pwd [-LP]
       checking for javac... /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-__amd64/bin/javac
       checking for jar... /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-__amd64/bin/jar
       checking for Java version... 1.6.0_27
       checking for jvm.dll... ls: cannot access
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/*/client: No such file or
    directory

       not found
       configure: WARNING: Library jvm.dll not found.  Octave will not
    be able to call Java methods.

Apparently jvm.dll is not available in OpenJDK. I used the Java
installation from my Windows partition to get past this error.

I think the right thing to do is to not check for the JVM. We just need enough "java" to be able to compile. I think that's really just jni.h. We load the JVM at run time, so that's when Octave should be checking for it and complaining if it doesn't exist.

My question is really about where should we be getting the jni.h file? It could probably come from the build system, but I don't think that is the right solution. Instead, I think we should be downloading some package that provides it and installing it along with other dependencies in the build tree.

So, what package should we be using to get jni.h?