Re: Please test new Doxygen building

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Please test new Doxygen building
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 08:42:53 -0400

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 07:54:47 -0400, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2013, at 7:29 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> Here's a weird failure:
>>>
>>> $ doxygen --version
>>> 1.8.4
>>> $ make doxyhtml
>>> doxygen Doxyfile
>>> Searching for include files...
>>> Searching for example files...
>>> Searching for files in directory /home/mike/src/octave/default/examples
>>> Searching for files in directory
>>> /home/mike/src/octave/default/examples/@FIRfilter
>>> Searching for files in directory
>>> /home/mike/src/octave/default/examples/@polynomial
>>> Searching for images...
>>> Searching for dot files...
>>> Searching for msc files...
>>> Searching for files to exclude
>>> Searching for files to process...
>>> [...]
>>> Parsing file
>>> /home/mike/src/octave/default/liboctave/cruft/ranlib/tstmid.for...
>>> ********************************************************************
>>> Error in file
>>> /home/mike/src/octave/default/liboctave/cruft/ranlib/tstmid.for
>>> line: 613, state: 17
>>> ********************************************************************
>>> make: *** [doxyhtml] Segmentation fault
>>>
>>> If I add either "EXCLUDE = tstmid.for" or "EXCLUDE_PATTERNS = *.for"
>>> to Doxyfile it runs to completion. Not sure what it doesn't like about
>>> that one file.
>>>
>>> --
>>> mike
>>
>> I'm seeing the same problem on Mac OSX, with
>>
>> $ doxygen --version
>> 1.8.3.1
>>
>> As there are only 611 lines in tstmid.for, so I'd ignore the line number.
>>
>> I did a google on "doxygen state 17 fortran" and found an example where a
>> state 17 error was triggered by a variable name whose fist several
>> characters matched a keyword (spaces are ignored in Fortran,  so the leading
>> characters are technically a match for the keyword).
>>
>> Looking at tstmid.for, I notice that "sum" is a variable.  However, "sum" is
>> also an intrinsic function.  A second example is the variable "type".  I
>> changed "sum" -> "xsum" and "type" -> "ctype".  Now "make doxyhtml" runs for
>> me.
>>
>> Ben
>
> The "sum" variable doesn't trigger the bug.  Its just "type".  A patch is
> attached.  Can I push a changeset for tsdmid.for ... or is it from upstream
> somewhere?

I can't say whether this code came from somewhere else (or where it's
even called from in Octave?). But the fix looks good to me. Makes
sense since "type" is a Fortran 95 keyword, not just a function. That
may be what's screwing up Doxygen.

Dmitri, good point, I'll report a bug after coming up with a minimum
reproducible example.

--
mike