Re: Compatibility considerations of "clear"

From: Philipp Kutin
Subject: Re: Compatibility considerations of "clear"
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 17:37:07 +0200

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think the attached patch will fix the behavior for clear without any
> arguments.

No, it doesn't. The values of global variables are still cleared when
only the names should.

> Is the current Octave behavior for functions also wrong?  Given the function
> (...)
> what do the following commands do?
> (...)

Here's the result of a slightly modified foo.m (attached) on R2013a.
Indented lines are echoed commands, the others are input/output.

>> dofoo
    foo  % Call the function
X IS NOT INITIALIZED
    foo  % Call the function
CALLED FOO
    foo = 1;  % Assign to a variable
    foo  % Refer to the variable
foo = 1
    clear foo  % Clear the variable
    foo  % Call the function
CALLED FOO
    clear foo  % Clear the function
    foo  % Call the function
X IS NOT INITIALIZED

By the way, what I said may not have been consistent. I'll try to
clarify another time.

--Philipp