Re: Welcome SOCIS 2013 Applicants

From: c.
Subject: Re: Welcome SOCIS 2013 Applicants
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 07:14:59 +0200

On 28 Aug 2013, at 21:37, mcecchetti <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
> today I discovered that the list of selected students for SOCIS has been
> published, indeed I am a bit disappointed to find out I was not selected for
> the proposed octave project. I would like to know which points of my
> application has been evaluated too weak compared to the project proposal of
> the selected student.
>

> Regards,
> -- Marco

Marco,

Essentially your proposal is the same as Roberto's,

but considering that:

1) He was the one to propose the project idea in the first place:
http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Geometric_integrators_for_Hamiltonian_Systems

2) He already presented a well structured plan for the implementation of the
project and discussed it at OctConf
http://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2013#Spectral_Variational_Integrators

3) He has already implemented at least a working prototype of most functions
required to complete the project,
as shown in his presentation.

Roberto has been given precedence, as he clearly has stronger and better
demostrated experteese about this particular project.

Yet you were ranked second among applicant students, so if for some reason
Roberto
is not able or not interested any more you are next in line.

c.