Re: I want to help to the graphics related to the octave development

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: I want to help to the graphics related to the octave development
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:00:20 -0400

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Cuauhtemoc Garcia <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

 I have expirence in OpenGL just in school projects, like the next one I attached in this mail.

Thanks. But my point was not to "evaluate" you, I just wanted to raise your attention that the problem you're willing to work on is not trivial. I wrote JHandles, and I ported the OpenGL renderer to code octave (bar the transparency support). So I know that dealing with transparency is not an easy task (not as easy as I thought it would be when using OpenGL). I'm no OpenGL expert and I wrote a clumsy implementation for JHandles. I'm not particularly proud of it, and that's part of the reasons I didn't bother porting to octave.

The problem is stated in this bug report:
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=39535
and it also contains a reference to an external page stating the problem with handling transparency in OpenGL.

Hopefully, you'll have more experience with OpenGL than me and come up with new ideas to handle transparency.

Michael.