Re: Release Plans

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: Release Plans
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 16:25:31 -0400

On 09/29/2013 03:46 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
I am not really sure what Daniel said here, but I really hope the plan isn't to
make gnuplot go away.  For all the warts, gnuplot makes publication quality
plots and fltk plots are ugly.
I get MUCH better publication results from fltk. There may be differences depending on the level of OpenGL, etc. Also, fltk is much more stable when generating more than a few plots. I have it set as the default and have had no recent problems. The last significant problem was with subplots, which also affected gnuplot. Of course,
gnuplot should be retained for compatibility as long as anyone wants it.

Michael

   I don't care what the defaults are since I am perfectly comfortable making
things work the way I want them to.

>Bob
For me, the major drawback of OpenGL is the lack of consistency between
displayed figures and output produced by print().  Lack of support for TeX when
producing output via print() puts a real damper on publication graphics.

In any event, the gnuplot toolkit is here to stay.  The discussion is about
changing the default toolkit to FLTK.

Ben