Re: alternatives for funding

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: alternatives for funding
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 09:03:21 -0600

On 12/14/2013 04:04 AM, Pascal Dupuis wrote:
This thread is about : Let's sell some lower-cost alternative to an
expensive piece of software. What is selled is not the software but
the expertise around it.

At first sight, it makes sense. But let me remind you from recent
history that followers have a much harder time surviving than leaders.
For a concrete exemple, look at the IBM 360 and 370 series, started in
1966. There were numerous business producing compatible replacement
(Hitachi, Olivetti, Bull, Digital Equipment, ...), but none of them
actually succeeded in taking a significant share of this market. Some
of them didn't survive either.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.  :-/

BTW, in case my earlier message also sounded discouraging, I did not mean it that way. I would be happy to encourage one or more support businesses to form around Octave and perhaps to even be a part of them (well, I already have my own). My point was that it needs to be done as a business, not using the FSF to collect the funds, because the FSF is a charity and can really only accept donations.

Again, I would prefer to discuss any details off the list.