Re: Octave 3.8.0 on Ubuntu 13.10: Include file <jni.h> not found

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 3.8.0 on Ubuntu 13.10: Include file <jni.h> not found
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 13:47:00 -0500

On 01/04/2014 12:13 PM, Steph Bredenhann wrote:
Hi All

I have managed to install all dependencies for Octave 3.8.0 on Ubuntu
13.10 x64, but I keep on getting this message:

configure: WARNING: Include file <jni.h> not found.  Octave will not be
able to call Java methods.

The jni.h is present, how do I get the Octave scripts to "see" it?

The configure script doesn't look for it directly. It runs the compiler on a simple test file to see whether including jni.h works. If the header file is installed somewhere that the compiler normally looks, then everything works properly. If not, then you have to modify the flags that the compiler uses to modify its header search path. So something like

  configure CPPFLAGS=-I/where/ever/it/is

will probably work. Of course, you need to replace /where/ever/it/is with the actual directory where jni.h is installed.