Re: Windows installer

From: Thorsten Liebig
Subject: Re: Windows installer
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 15:55:10 +0100

Am 06.01.2014 13:43, schrieb John W. Eaton:
> John and Michael,
>
> The latest Windows installer looks good.  Thanks for all the work you've been
> doing on this project.  Do you think it is ready to release?  Or do
> you think we should wait until we can include compiled Octave Forge packages
> in the installer?  I don't think that's necessary, though I'm sure
> people will complain about it since previous installers did include them,
> plus other things like a selection of accelerated BLAS options.
>
> Should we make the GUI the default on Windows?  I expect that's what most
> Windows users will want.
>
> jwe

I would recommend to upload the zip-version (additionally to the installer
version) as well to octave.org
It could be named something like "portable Octave version".
The advantage is that you don't need admin privileges to install Octave, but
you can even put it on some USB or NAS device etc.
The obvious disadvantage are the missing menu and desktop short cuts. But that
should be clear to anybody looking for a portable version?

regards
Thorsten