Re: Windows installer

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Windows installer
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 06:02:18 -0800 (PST)

Richard Crozier wrote
> On 06/01/2014 13:16, Markus wrote:
>> For me it's more "lightweight" without packages. Furthermore >> pkg
>> install -forge -auto PKGNAME is not very difficult.

Sure, until a user lands her-/himself in the dependency maze, e.g. with
signal and statistics packages. Not hard for us, but maybe a stumbling block
for novices.

But I think it is a good thing to have (at least) a bare-bones Windows
installer up on e.g., Octave-Forge, and later on a more complete one
elsewhere.

> Does that actually work on Windows for packages which must be compiled?

Yes it does for the MinGW installer version, as that has all build tools
included.

The MSVC installer requires another 2.2 GB disk space of mostly crap for the
Visual C++ Express build tools (as the VCExpress installer installs all or
nothing), + some paths setup stuff. Works fine though, once set up.

Philip