Re: New GUI item group in Savannah bug tracker

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: New GUI item group in Savannah bug tracker
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 09:31:33 -0500

On 01/09/2014 07:10 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
Now that we have the GUI in a stable release, it seems to me make
sense to have a GUI bug category. I have just created one in Savannah,
and I'll be working on tagging existing bug reports with it. Please
also do so as you encounter these bugs or when you submit them.

It's not obvious why we need an item group for GUI.  We already have a
GUI category, so I'm not sure we also need an item group for GUI.  Can
you explain why we need both?

The current categories are:

  Plotting
  Plotting with OpenGL
  Plotting with gnuplot
  Interpreter
  Libraries
  Octave Function
  Octave Forge Package
  Configuration and Build System
  GUI
  Documentation
  Agora website

and the item groups are

  Regression
  Build Failure
  Crash
  Incorrect Result
  Inaccurate Result
  Installation
  Documentation
  Performance
  Matlab Compatibility
  Feature Request
  Other

Looking at the "item groups", these seem to all be modes of failure.
How does "GUI" describe a mode of failure (no snarky comments from the
GUI haters, please :-).

I also see we already have some apparent overlap here.  Maybe
"Documentation" should be "Manual" in the category list
"Incorrect Documentation" in the item groups list?
And maybe "Installation" in the item groups list should be
"Installation Failure"?