Re: Savannah categories

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Savannah categories
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 07:55:01 -0800

On 01/09/2014 06:40 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> It's not obvious why we need an item group for GUI.  We already have a
> GUI category, so I'm not sure we also need an item group for GUI.  Can
> you explain why we need both?
>
> The current categories are:
>
>    Plotting
>    Plotting with OpenGL
>    Plotting with gnuplot
>    Interpreter
>    Libraries
>    Octave Function
>    Octave Forge Package
>    Configuration and Build System
>    GUI
>    Documentation
>    Agora website
>
> and the item groups are
>
>    Regression
>    Build Failure
>    Crash
>    Incorrect Result
>    Inaccurate Result
>    Installation
>    Documentation
>    Performance
>    Matlab Compatibility
>    Feature Request
>    Other
>
> Looking at the "item groups", these seem to all be modes of failure.
> How does "GUI" describe a mode of failure (no snarky comments from the
> GUI haters, please :-).
>
> I also see we already have some apparent overlap here.  Maybe
> "Documentation" should be "Manual" in the category list
> "Incorrect Documentation" in the item groups list?
> And maybe "Installation" in the item groups list should be
> "Installation Failure"?
I've always had trouble trouble with the documentation category as well.
The category seems clear enough, but then is the item group supposed to be
"incorrect result", "inaccurate result", "Documentation", "Other", or
"None".  I like keeping "Documentation" as the category, but would change
the item group to be "Incorrect Documentation".  I also second your motion
to change "Installation" to "Installation Failure" so that it is consistent
with "Build Failure".

--Rik