Re: Old "new" pkg.m

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Old "new" pkg.m
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 10:22:28 -0800 (PST)

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
> Hi all,
>
> With the new season of GSoC the discussions over pkg.m have been
> reignited.
> I would like to point to a considerable successful attempt to modularize
> pkg.m
>
> https://bitbucket.org/carandraug/octave/commits/branch/pkg
>
> I think, there is still an option to merge this changes in pkg.m into
> the default branch (only pkg.m was edited!)
>
> Carnë also took the time to assemble a roadmap that perhaps have to be
> updated with the new material in discussions like [1] and [2]
>
> http://wiki.octave.org/OEP:pkg
>
> [1]
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Re-configure-ac-and-Dolfin-h-tt4662064.html#a4662572
> [2]
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/pkg-PKG-ADD-arch-dependent-tt4662849.html

Another wish (of mine) is that after failed package installations the old
situation would be restored. This is especially useful when (trying to)
upgrade packages.

FYI, this is motivated by a.o., the former Java package, whose installations
could look deceivingly successful while only half of the package got
installed.

I did look into this already some years ago. My idea (not implemented) was
to move the existing arch-dependent and scripts directories plus the package
"database" (-file) to a temporary location, and only in case of a successful
package upgrade delete them; otherwise, of course move them back into place
after wiping the directories associated with the failed package
installations.

Philip