Re: GSoC'14: Looking for a mentor

From: Arpit Sharma
Subject: Re: GSoC'14: Looking for a mentor
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 23:14:53 +0530

Generalized eigenvalue problem(Analysis),

=>Ax=(lambda)Bx ,where x is generalized eigenvector
(B'inverse)A=(lambda)x
B can be singular, an alternative algorithm, called the QZ method, is necessary.

=> [V,D] = eig(A,'nobalance')*
balancing basically improves the conditioning of the input matrix,
enabling more accurate computation of the eigenvectors and eigenvalues
but if a matrix contains small elements that are really due to
roundoff error, balancing may scale them up to make them as
significant as the other elements of the original matrix, leading to
incorrect eigenvectors

=> D = eig(A,'matrix')
used to return the eigenvalues in a diagonal matrix.

=> [V,D,W] = eig(A)
Calculate left eigenvector W, right eigenvector V and eigenvalues D

=> W'*A - D*W'
Doesn't give right result should come close to zero if not exact,
where matrix W contains left eigenvectors and D is eigenvalues

=> [V,D] = eig(A,B,flag)
where flag specifies which algorithm to use,
'chol' : Computes the generalized eigenvalues of A and B using the
Cholesky factorization of B.
'qz' : Ignores the symmetry, if any, and uses the QZ algorithm.

I am learning more about the same.
Till now I have solved few bugs ,did some short projects and created
my public profile <http://wiki.octave.org/User:Arpit17792>

But I need assistance to proceed further with the code. Also need to
create my proposal for the project for GSoC 2014.

thanks and regards
Arpit