[RFC] build with OpenMP by default?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: [RFC] build with OpenMP by default?
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:31:11 -0400

Is it time to build Octave with OpenMP by default? It looks to me like
it's been an "experimental" disabled-by-default option since the 3.4.0
release. It has been enabled in Debian and Ubuntu builds since 3.4.3
was released in late 2011 and I'm not aware of any negative
consequences.

Autoconf now provides a AC_OPENMP macro with a --disable-openmp
option, we could use this to handle setting up OpenMP to be consistent
with other projects.

See bug #41699 [1] for my motivation for enabling OpenMP by default
(segfault when exiting or unloading oct-files that use OpenMP).

Also there might be extra steps needed to build with OpenMP using MXE,
have any MXE builders looked into it?

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41699

Thanks,

--