Re: [RFC] build with OpenMP by default?

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: [RFC] build with OpenMP by default?
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:28:42 +0200

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 09:31:11AM -0400, Mike Miller wrote:
> Is it time to build Octave with OpenMP by default? It looks to me like
> it's been an "experimental" disabled-by-default option since the 3.4.0
> release. It has been enabled in Debian and Ubuntu builds since 3.4.3
> was released in late 2011 and I'm not aware of any negative
> consequences.
It was enabled in Debian so that packages could use it:

> See bug #41699 [1] for my motivation for enabling OpenMP by default
> (segfault when exiting or unloading oct-files that use OpenMP).
Sorry, but I think that enabling OpenMP in Octave would just be hiding a
problem here. If Octave unloads the OpenMP library while it is still in
use by other threads, that is a bug. I don't have a suggestion on how to
fix this, but linking the OpenMP library into Octave is a workaround, at
best.

        Thomas