Re: Segmentation Fault with Octave MXE under Windows

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault with Octave MXE under Windows
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 09:04:36 -0700 (PDT)

ijourneaux wrote
> Philip
> I must be missing something obvious with the way MXE-Octave is built. I
> made a change to the ov-usr-fcn.cc file in the folder
> ./mxe-octave/tmp-octave/octave-3.8.0/libinterp/octave-value/ov-usr-fcn.cc
>
> but make nsis-installer doesn't recompile ov-usr-fcn.cc
> Ian

That tmp-<package> file is overwritten for each rebuilt package on each mxe
build of Octave.

Do you cross-compile (on Linux) or build natively (on Windows)?

(I cross-build on Linux as that used to be about 5 times faster; in addition
I could never get native builds to finish and I got wary as afterwards
Windows sometimes started checking disk integrity. But e.g. John D. seems to
have no problems with native builds
So I can only vouch here for cross-builds)

With an MXE build (native and cross-), you feed a complete Octave
"distribution" to mxe (see my previous post in this thread), which will
configure/build/install it somewhere internally; afterward the files are
copied into a temp dir from where the archive or installer is made.
So that means that you won't see individual files being rebuilt - mxe just
builds Octave completely from scratch each time.

A hint:
Just before it says "generating installer", or maybe even as soon as Octave
is built ("[done]") (but I'm not sure if that's too early), you can
interrupt MXE.
Next then, find the Octave files in
<mxe-octave>/octave/home/........../  (viz. subdirs bin/, include/, lib/,
libexec/ and share/),
zip them up and unzip/copy them over the similar files in your
Octave-on-Windows installation - it'll save you significant waiting time of
building the complete installer (about 25 mins. on my Core i5 laptop).
I hope someone will make a Makefile target for this (would be great for
developers); I simply lack time to find out how until maybe next fall.
You only need to build a complete installer (and re-install from scratch on
the Windows side) if one or more dependencies change, in addition to Octave.
E.g., I build with an MXE-setup last updated some 2 months ago (but with
several personal mods).
Note: this will also work when building natively.

In the <mxe-octave./tools subdir there's a script that sets up various shell
variables needed for building; something with mxe-oct-env.sh or so. Run it
with &quot;sh &lt;script name>" in a MinGW shell.
Once it has been run, I think (but unsure) you can clone octave, bootstrap
and do the usual building steps, up to & including ./run-octave

BTW, last Friday I tried the patch suggested by Daniel - to no avail :-(
Sorry for not reporting it back immediately).

Philip