Re: Windows Octave compilation

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Windows Octave compilation
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 17:51:59 +0200

Please do NOT email contributors and developers privately. There are mailing lists for questions like these.

<octave-maintainers ML cc'd (I think you'll get answers there)>

Read on below:

Jan Tomášek wrote:
Hello,
as far as I know you are compiling octave for windows. I'm now trying to
do so as well. I'm trying to build default branch for windows 7 using
mingw to be precise.

I'm trying the mxe version (was recommended to me as easy option).
building like this:
/mingw-get install autoconf bash msys-flex gcc gcc-c++ /
/   gcc-fortran gettext msys-m4 msys-make msys-sed /
/   libiconv msys-openssl msys-patch msys-perl msys-libarchive /
/   msys-unzip msys-wget bsdcpio mingw-libgnurx msys-regex/
/autoconf/
/./configure --enable-system-gcc --enable-native-build
/
/source tools/set_mxe_env.sh
/
/make/
/
/
It works (a bit), but I'm constantly facing huge number of errors
(missing libs, missing dirs). I was always able to solve that, but it
already took me about a week and I'm still not finish.
Is there something I have done wrong? Is there a better approach to get
octave working under windows ?

So you are trying to build natively (= under Windows)?

I'm cross-building on Linux, that is *way* easier and especially faster.
My last attempt to make a native build must be over 6-7 months or more ago and it failed, so I cannot help you. But there are people on this ML who have more experience with native mxe-octave builds.

Philip