Re: audio package maintainer

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: audio package maintainer
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 19:08:56 +0100

On 8 August 2014 21:30, Tony Richardson <address@hidden> wrote:
> I noticed on the packages page that the audio package is currently not being
> maintained.  I would like to become the
> maintainer of that package if no one else has already taken that position.
> Note that I am new to this, but I do use the
> package and do not want to see it no longer maintained.
>
> I have installed the most recent version from the tar ball.  I've modified a
> couple of the m-files so that they no longer
> give warnings when run.  I also modified the code so that it works under
> Windows (by piping audio data to VLC).
>
> What are the steps I need to take to become the maintainer.

Do not work from the last release of the tarball. There's been a lot
of modifications in the repository since that haven't been released
yet, mostly because they're not complete or no-one bothered to
release. Please continue from there.

However, one of the last year GSoC students was working in audio
processing for Octave core. My understanding was that some of his work
would replace part of the audio package in core. Unfortunately, his
changed were never merged because no one reviewed them. That's may be
a better place to start but someone else will have to link to his
branch of work.

Carne