Re: Installation of 3.8.2 on Mac

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Installation of 3.8.2 on Mac
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 15:56:58 -0500

On Mon, 2014-12-01 at 21:51 +0100, Florian Ebeling wrote:

> For completeness sake, it should probably be noted that VLC for iOS
> is also back in the app store, though.
>

> http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/07/18/1943202/vlc-for-ios-returns-on-july-19-rewritten-and-fully-open-sourced

They basically did this by getting rid of the contributions of the one
developer who objected to having his copyleft violated. The rest of
the VLC developers apparently don't mind if their iOS users cannot
exercise their GPL rights. I suspect I'm not the only Octave developer
who will insist on ensuring that our users can exercise their GPL
rights.

Btw, this has nothing to do with the LGPL vs the GPL: the Apple
Store's restrictions are in violation of both. It's simply that the
remaining VLC developers, after removing the code from the one
dissenting developer, do not care to make Apple do the right thing.

- Jordi G. H.