Re: printing problems because of memory consumption of gs

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: printing problems because of memory consumption of gs
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 17:32:43 -0500

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Torsten <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04.01.2015 16:40, Torsten wrote:
> With a recent build from the gui-release branch I encounter the problem
> that printing a figure (gnuplot) starts a gs-process that consumes up to
> 2 GB of memory. This makes it nearly impossible to build the docs on a
> computer with only 2 GB. Plotting directly in gnuplot with an eps-, pdf-
> or png-terminal is no problem. Is anyone else seeing this issue?

If someone else runs into this: I found the reason and a workaround for
the issue described in my previous post. The problem bulding the docs
seems to be that the produced eps-files (voronoi.eps, triplot.eps, etc.)
have text entries of the form

  [ [({}) 200.0 0.0 true true 0 (0.2)]
  ] -66.7 MRshow

with a font '{}'. Debugging gs shows that gs can not find font '{}' and
then queries all system fonts. This action then consumes much resources.
This can be avoided by

  export GS_OPTIONS='-dNONATIVEFONTMAP -sSUBSTFONT=Helvetica'

which prevents using native fonts and replace all unknown fonts by
Helvetica.

Torsten

 Thanks

This fixed the problem I was having since early Dec.

How can we make this automatic?

--
DASCertificate for 206392