Re: GUI release

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: GUI release
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 07:59:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

Rik-4 wrote
> In terms of what to do, there is a checklist of activities for a release
> on
> the wiki at http://wiki.octave.org/Roadmap.  One of the first priorities
> is
> figuring out which bugs require fixing before the release and which would
> only be nice to fix.  In the past we have tried to fix all segmentation
> faults, all regressions, and any bugs with a severity > 4.  A quick search
> on Savannah shows that there are 38 bugs marked as crashes.  One thing
> that
> becomes apparent is that the GUI has a lot of trouble running and plotting
> under Mac OS X.  Certainly we will need to have some sort of solution for
> that OS.

The crash that we encounter using Qt toolkit and the GUI on mac is due to
dynamic_cast of Qt objects. My guess is that the issue comes from mixed
libstdc++/libc++ linkages (see comment #5 in [1]). Up to now, mac packagers
used to compile Qt libraries using Clang and Octave using gcc which lead to
the above mentioned mixed linkage. If I understand this post [2], Macports
and Fink are now able to patch Octave so that it can be successfully
compiled using Clang like Qt libs.
Optimistic conclusion: the crash could magically disappear with that new
strategy :-)

Pantxo

PS: Sorry for so much guesses, I have currently no access to mac and I can't
test the idea.

[1] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42596
[2] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/45210