Re: Icons for the GUI

From: JohnD
Subject: Re: Icons for the GUI
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 09:08:34 -0500

> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 11:21:25 +0100
> From: Torsten <address@hidden>
> To: "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>, rocketsound
>       <address@hidden>,       address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Icons for the GUI

> >> The patch is ready for test and can be found at
> >> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?8614
> >>
> >> Under windows, the location of the necessary qt-dlls for svg-icons is
> >> important. They are currently located in subdirectories of "plugins" in
> >> the installation directory. The icons are only visible in windows when
> >> "plugin" is located in the "bin" directory.
> >
> > This change looks good to me.  Is there any reason not to commit it?
> >

> The problem with the svg-icons on windows should be fixed before, i.e.:
>
> - Putting the directory "plugins" in the right location or
> - generating png-files from the svg-files before compiling the gui
>
> I think the first one would be the best way but there are several
> possible locations given in the internet (e.g.
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4318990/svg-icons-not-showing-up-in-qt-
> release-build-in-windows)
> and on my system, I only get one working and the success depends on the
> executed file (octave.bat, octave-gui.exe or octave.exe). If the
> behavior really varies with the target system, this might be hard to fix.

A while back I added to the nsis installer so that it creates a qt.conf file
in the bin directory that sets the path for everything to the base install
path so that language files would be picked up etc. So plugins _should_ work
in the base directory rather than in the bin directory.

Anyone installing from a zip file would have to add their own qt.conf file.