interested in "image IO" for GSoC 2015

From: Daniel
Subject: interested in "image IO" for GSoC 2015
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 09:44:35 -0400

Hi everyone,

I have been watching the list for many years and now I am a PhD student in the US studying graph-theory-based  molecular network topology prediction, primarily using C++.

I am interested in Image Processing because  several of my previous microscopy projects; I was attempting to use Octave to do the image processing/analysis, but loading some formats of the images was not possible. Therefore I found both the topics listed in the "Image Analysis" section in the webpage "http://wiki.octave.org/SoC_Project_Ideas" very interesting and relevant to my data analysis work. I am planning to start contributing to Octave community in a relative intensive manner driven by my own interest and also some external pressure and guidance, by joining the GSoC project.

I learnt C++ programming several years ago and currently my daily work is using C++ for my PhD project. During this summer, I would like to spend time on the GSoC. I am aware of the general procedures listed in the wiki and I also know there are several mailing lists, ICR and the content on the Octave wiki. Just to be sure, I still want to ask, what would you suggest me to do in the first place? Built it on my computer? And how can I get started for the GSoC application?

By the way, I am not sure if the image processing projects and its mentor are still available. If not, I may want to and I am also very happy to do something else, maybe related to my PhD thesis work.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Daniel